Review and Approve Charges
Charges are expenses and activities (such as time entries) that have an amount to bill. All expenses and all time entries for Hourly cases must go through an approval process before being applied to a case balance. This allows users to focus on work and keep accurate time and for Administrators to determine whether to let the charge through. Most of the time, this will be a quick activity and is part of best practice in managing billing cycles.
To review and approve charges:
- Go to the Billing section and the Charges page, Select the first tab
- At the top of the page you will see several badges of information that summarize the charges in the table below
- Charges are grouped by matter. To view all charges within a matter, click on the arrow to expand the table
- To the left of each charge is a checkbox. Unchecking the box means that the charge will NOT be applied.
You can make determination at the charge level, or at the matter level which will cascade down to all charges within the matter.
- After review is complete and you are ready to proceed, click the red “Apply Charges” button in the top right. The system will process these charges, update case balances, and group charges into a billing cycle per matter with a time stamp of when the charges were applied.
Note: You can search on charges, past and pending, by using the search area filters. By default the page shows all pending charges. If you wish to return to the default view of pending charges, press the “Reset” button in the search area.
What is a Billing Cycle?
A billing cycle is a group of applied charges for a particular matter. It will indicate when it was created, how much was charged in total, how much was available for withdraw at the time it was applied. A billing cycle can also be reported in an invoice to clients so that they can see how much was charged in a time period.
To view past billing cycles:
- Go to the Billing section and the Charges page, Select the second tab
- Expand the search block and use the filters: Matter, date range to find billing cycles for a particular case or that were created in a time period.
Note: A withdrawal report is a downloadable spreadsheet of billing cycles that shows how much was available for withdraw after each billing cycle. This can be useful when you need to move funds from trust account to a business account or when doing reconciliation.
How to Rollback a Billing Cycle
When charges are applied and rolled into a Billing Cycle, they become locked down and are no longer editable by users. If for some reason a charge needs to be edited after it was applied, the billing cycle it went out in will need to be deleted. Deleting a billing cycle will not delete any of the charges inside it. Rather, the charges will return to editable status and show in the pending charges table – ready to be rolled into a new billing cycle. Also, when deleting a billing cycle, the charges that were deducted from the case balance will be rolled back (i.e. the case balance should go up by the amount that was previously charged).
To rollback a billing cycle:
- In the Billing section -> Charges page, under the Billing Cycles tab, use the search area to find the billing cycle(s)
- Click on the “Delete” button next to the billing cycle(s). You will receive a confirmation prompt. Click “Yes” to continue.
- The billing cycle will be rolled back and the charges that were inside it will now be editable and will also be listed in the Pending Charges table
Creating an Invoice
Lolly gives you the option of creating invoices directly within the Billing section. These invoices can be edited after they have been created and saved automatically to the matter folder in Google Drive.
Example Invoice – Flat Fee Example Invoice – Hourly
To create an invoice:
- Go to the Billing section and the Invoice Tab
- A list of all open matters will appear and show: name of the case, total charges to be reported in invoices, current case balance
NOTE: Use the Filter area to narrow the list of matters to meet specific criteria such as having a charge balance OR search for a particular matter.
- Select the method you wish to use for generating invoices.
– Selecting “Single” gives you the option of creating invoices one at time.
– Selecting “Batch” gives you the option of creating multiple invoices at once.
- You have the option of asking for additional funds OR issuing a refund. Use the ‘Amount’ field to set that monetary amount
- When ready, press the Create button.
NOTE: The system detects whether the case is ‘Hourly’ or ‘Flat Fee’ and uses a different invoice template for each. Ex. ‘Hourly’ will report Trust Account Balances; while ‘Flat Fee’ will report on Contract Amount.
- The invoice(s) will be generated and automatically download to your machine. A copy of each invoice will also be saved saved to Google Drive under that Matter’s folder.